The food delivery business has a growth rate that can only be called extraordinary. After reading the statistics, I say that as of 2021, this is a $28 billion industry and only expected to grow. With the world shifting towards food delivery services, more and more opportunities are emerging for people who want to work in this business. The two big names that come up when we talk about food delivery apps are Instacart and Doordash.
With the food delivery market on the rise and the demand for people, it is an excellent opportunity for drivers to earn more money. People, and by people I mean shoppers, can make a lot of money delivering food and groceries to people’s homes. But that leaves one with the looming question of Instacart vs. Doordash: What’s Best for Drivers?
But before we face the two pros and cons, first, let’s read a few things about these food delivery apps. This will help us better understand these apps and their services and choose which one is best for drivers.
What is Instacart?
Instacart, as I said, is an on-demand online grocery delivery service. It was founded in 2012 and has only grown since then. It went public in 2022. The service is offered in 5,500 cities in the United States and Canada. It also has a large customer base estimated at an army of 9.6 million active users. Instacart works with and for over 600 partners, including some big names like Kroger, Costco, Target and Aldi.
Instacart offers a user-friendly interface and fast delivery. Customers add their groceries to their cart online or through their app. They then have two options; pick up packaged orders in store or have them delivered directly to your home. Lots of deals help you save money and lots of people use coupons.
Based on the two shopping options that Instacart offers, you are left with two options if you want to become an Instacart driver:
- In-Store Shopper: Tracks orders to be picked up in-store. Store buyers are responsible for purchasing and packing orders that customers pick up in store. It’s okay to call the store buyer, a part-time Instacart employee. You can consider it a hassle, as working hours are limited to 29 hours per week. It’s okay if you don’t have a vehicle because as an in-store shopper, you won’t need one.
- Full Service Buyer: This is the one for home deliveries and is more of a full time job. You will shop and then deliver said grocery packages to customers. The best thing about being a full service shopper is choosing the hours you are comfortable working. However, you will have to make deliveries, so you will need a car. It would help if you were well versed in your local area and grocery stores.
You can’t have the best of both worlds and work like both. Of course, you can only choose one. However, you can change after six months if you have good reviews.
What is DoorDash?
Doordash was founded in 2013, a year after Instacart, as an on-demand food delivery service. With steady growth, it is now distributed in about 7,000 cities in the United States, Canada and Australia. Although it has the largest share of its market, nearly 60%, in the US, it offers more than 300,000 restaurants, including some old-timers in the food business like Wingstop, Five Guys, Chick-Fil-A and Wendy’s. DooDash brings you the best food and deals with its deals and coupons.
In addition to the food delivery service, Doordash has expanded into the grocery delivery business. It partnered with Albertsons, a grocery store company, in 2021 and began delivering groceries from leading stores including 7-Eleven, Safeway, CircleK and Casey’s.
General store If you become a DoorDash delivery courier, you’ll be called a Dasher. For the delivery mode, you can use any vehicle you have, including a scooter, bicycle or car.
When it comes to business hours, Dashers can easily log into the DoorDash app and check available orders. They also have the privilege of scheduling blocks of time to work, and can do so up to a week in advance. Because DoorDash offers food and groceries, you can earn money by shopping for groceries or by picking up and delivering takeout.
Instacart vs. DoorDash: Which is Best for Drivers?
Now that we know more about the two services, let’s find out which is the best for drivers in terms of services and money. Here we go!
Over 7000 cities in USA, Canada, Australia and Japan.
In more than 5500 cities in the countries of the USA and Canada.
- Must be an adult, at least 18 years old
- Constant access to recent smartphones to accept orders.
- Any car, scooter or bicycle along with a valid driver’s license.
- Auto insurance for the vehicle they own.
- Social Security number in case of delivery.
- Must be an adult, at least 18 and over 21 to accept alcohol orders.
- Constant access and being able to use a recent smartphone effectively.
- Full service buyers need a vehicle. In-store shoppers have to worry about getting to the store.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to lift a heavy object up to 50 lbs.
- You can schedule times in advance or deliver the application when you are busy
- Let’s bring a friend when we provide food.
- Largest US delivery market share (around 60%).
- Job opportunity for people who don’t have a car and can’t make deliveries.
- Delivery service available in thousands of cities
- Ability to reject and accept orders.
Now that we have made a comparison, I think we can conclude. While both options are great, I think DoorDash is a better option for drivers because it offers higher hourly pay and more flexible hours. It also includes food and grocery delivery service.
That was all from my end regarding this mini-debate. Let me know if you found the battle of the food apps good. I’ll say goodbye and see you next time. Happy shopping!